Monday, September 14, 2026

Integrating history of mathematics in the classroom: an analytic survey - Response

Before reading the article, my general perspective is that math history should be incorporated into teaching, as I feel it provides students with context for the content being learned, which may help those who wonder why seemingly unconnected, abstract math topics matter or relate. For example, the appearance of new problems and solutions, or even entire branches of math, were often consequences of both successful and unsuccessful attempts at solving previous problems in older areas. As such, I feel it could be worth incorporating some math history with each new unit as it comes, and explaining each subsequent unit’s history in reference to any already discussed. This can help students trace the topics through time and purpose, which may stimulate interest or give the topics more real-world value. However, I am curious about more engaging ways to include this history, beyond just describing some of it with each unit's content. 

One point that I paused on while reading was the idea that historical contextualization of math is made difficult if students lack general understanding of historical time periods. I do, in part, agree, given that the history of math is hugely intertwined with the history of related disciplines, such as philosophy or the sciences, all of which were influenced by social and political aspects of the time periods as well. Given that many of the key figures were polymaths themselves, it may also be difficult to discuss the history of their mathematical work without some reference to their other pursuits or ideas. However, if student learning is being supported from all angles and their other classes, like the sciences, are also making this effort to discuss a subject’s history, this would instead be an incredible opportunity for students themselves to make connections between the history of various disciplines and the key figures they are learning about. 

I also paused to study the in-depth example given of a possible historical package for grade 8 students studying Pythagorean theorem. I particularly liked the idea of using history as a basis with which to present various proofs of the same theorem, as I feel that this combined history with another useful part of math education: displaying multiple methods of arriving at the same answer. This has always been such a fundamental idea in math, that my own teachers always encouraged, and showing that it even applies to the theorems that students were taking as absolutes could be a powerful reminder. The subsequent step of bringing in the works of various cultures and discussing the historical narratives surrounding the theorem then flows seamlessly from the above. I was struck by how this portion has the added benefit of characterizing math as a human endeavor and possibly even helping students feel more personally represented in the discipline. 

The main change from my prior reasoning on the need to teach math history is the added idea of using history to provide role models for students through learning about the human aspects of math. My reasons before were more clinical, with the desired outcome of simply furthering students’ knowledge. However, the article helped bring to light how showcasing the real people and their trial and error efforts behind what students may be viewing as rigid, abstract, absolutes, could be inspiring for the student or at the very least comforting to know that the process of math has always consisted of failure and re-trying. I also appreciated the suggestion of incorporating math history through group research projects on self-selected topics of interest. One of my pre-reading questions was on interesting ways to incorporate history into classes. This type of interest-guided group project could be seen as more fun/engaging by some, while also helping students understand that math can and should be a collaborative subject. 


1 comment:

  1. Your point about using different proofs of the Pythagorean theorem caught my attention. I like how history can show students that even for something that seems completely fixed, there can still be different ways of thinking about it and getting to the same result.

    ReplyDelete

Babylonian Algebra and Mesopotamian Scribes - Thoughts

Before the development of notation, it is clear that math was still being done rhetorically, in the fashion of Babylonian algebra using word...